- The FDA does not regulate what is put in or on cosmetics. Companies can label "organic" or "natural" on their products without there being a healthy ingredient in the formula.
- The EU bans more than 1,300 ingredients from their cosmetics while the US only bans around 11. This means the US allows hundreds of chemicals in their products that other countries find unsafe.
- The average woman uses 12 beauty products per day, exposing herself to 126 unique chemicals; many of which are toxic and have been linked to cancer, infertility, birth defects, endocrine problems and disrupts hormones.
- Manufacturers are legally allowed to hide hundreds of chemicals in the ingredient "fragrance" or "perfume" and do not have to list them on the ingredient label.
- It is safer to consume your products than put them on your skin. A percentage of what is on your skin enters your bloodstream- faster than if you swallowed it. When products enter the body this way they aren't filtered through the liver like food is.
- Women eat about a pound of lipstick per year.
Sources: Toxic Beauty by Samuel Epstein & Not Just a Pretty Face by Stacy Malkan